CONNECT

Host: ts.psdh.eu
Password: None

* Recent Posts

Wintersday Extravaganza 2023 by Nova Lelie
[December 12, 2023, 09:52:49 pm]

IRL Meeting interest check by Mr_Dark
[February 10, 2023, 07:33:19 pm]

PSDH Seasonal Scary Spooky Strange Sacrificial (just kidding, or are we?) Sit-in by Mr_Dark
[October 18, 2022, 01:52:50 pm]

[ANN] Easter Eggstravaganza by Nova Lelie
[April 18, 2022, 01:55:17 pm]

Dragon's End by Nova Lelie
[March 21, 2022, 11:00:25 pm]

* Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Upcoming Events

Stay Connected
Ever wanted a way to stay connected to your guildies outside of event times, or want to get notified 30 minutes before one of our events start?
Why not join the [PSDH] Discord? To join our Discord server, click on the link in this message or press the Discord logo on our banner at the top.

Author Topic: Commander going more or less inactive for some time  (Read 6098 times)

Astrovirus/Jari The Great

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Astrovirus Astrophotography
  • IGN: Astrovirus.2936
  • Server: Gandara
Commander going more or less inactive for some time
« on: December 11, 2015, 09:00:01 am »
As some of you may have already been told, my left shoulder underwent surgery this wednesday, and it turned out the damage to the joint is much worse then anticipated (and that wasn't too bright to start with). The result of this is, that I'm not allowed to use my left arm for at least 6 weeks (immobilized in a sling), after which intenseve physiotherapy will follow for at least another 6 weeks. So you will probably see me in game and also joining events, as I seem to be able to play one-handed allbeit with some restrictions/reduction in speed. Commanding may however be too much to handle with these restrictions, although if I feel up to it and with some back up, I may actually give it a try if the oppertunity preveils.
Warrior(s): Sirrah Andromedae (Jari The Great, RETIRED)│Thief: Gienah Ghurab Corvi│Revenant: Lady Cassiopeia Cih│Necro: Miss Ophiuchus│Ranger: Meissa Heka Orionis│Guards: Gallina Deneb Cygni; Antares Flame│Engi: Theta Iota Antliae│Mesmers: Sheliak Vega Lyrae; Almeisan Geminorum│Ele: Ankaa Phoenicis

pizzapunt

• A friendly Sylvari known as Ardi Veftvohl
    • View Profile
  • IGN: piza.9310
  • Server: Piken Square
Re: Commander going more or less inactive for some time
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 09:21:48 am »
Commanding should be the easier part if you do it without actually taking part in the event itself. You stand in the back giving commands and you could make someone else with a tag run around. If he/she also follows your commands then all you have to do is talk into the mic. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sabetha

• View Profile
  • IGN: Sabetha.4910
  • Server: Gunnar's Hold
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 10:12:04 am »
Commanding should be the easier part if you do it without actually taking part in the event itself. You stand in the back giving commands and you could make someone else with a tag run around. If he/she also follows your commands then all you have to do is talk into the mic. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You could do that, yes, but I think it's also a great opportunity to let any of the trainee commanders get a go at it. Won't be able to rely on the usual core group everyday, so might as well!

I've finally found what I was looking for
A place where I can be without remorse
Because I am a stranger who has found
An even stranger war

Here I come

Nova Lelie

• Guild Leader
    • View Profile
  • IGN: Persephone.5384
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 11:58:41 am »
Hey Jari, hope you feel better soon.. dont worry we'll make it work ;)

@ Piza & Sabetha: Hey.. so .. correcting ;) Someone else running around.. especially during wurm.. I would not recommend it.. It is a very chaotic event to command.. the Tag then actually has to run to specific veteran wurms (amber) after the commander calls it out, makes for a delay (in worst case killing diboofer).. also, what are you going to call all those spots (left of big wurm, right of big wurm etc)..  Might be possible on Teq.. but then they can just take it..

I once DCed and didnt come back into the TT map.. so commanded via my husbands screen, I can tell you.. it was pretty horrible to not be running yourself (also for the tagged person)

For trainee.. we start on Teq.. for the simple reason that we first want people to get a feel what it is actually like to command for such a big and busy group.. whilst also having whispers.. Ofcourse the current trainees are always free to ask for time on the bosses.. Its not always a matter of opportunity.. the last few weeks it was kinda hard to find commanders for every event.. Trainee or fully trained.. Which made that a few of us had to do it loads of times (dont get me wrong I like to do it, even Teq Melee, otherwise I wouldnt be in this position).. TT is an interesting one to command compared to TD/DS/Teq, those 3 are easier to learn and do not have that much different tactics.. On TT its much more complicated (if it doesnt go smooth) you have to switch between tactics fast and think quickly to still make the event work.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:00:15 pm by Nova Lelie »
Kill the thingy!

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 12:16:58 pm »
I agree with Nova, TT is a very hectic event and to me it also seems impossible to have someone else run the tag and myself commanding. I have also been in the position of dc-ing and having someone tag up and me trying to get back into the map, believe me that's very chaotic.

Trainnee commanders should indeed start at Teq to get comfortable with leading a big group, as everything that is thrown at you with whispers really makes your head spin on events like TT. But if any of the current trainnees wants to step forward for other bosses, please do so. I would be happy to support their backs.

But like I said if I feel confident running around one-handed, and the oppertunity comes at hand, I will definitly take up the challenge for Commanding on any of the Wurms.

btw, Just completed the Chak Gerent event on a PUG TD map one-handed.....
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:19:54 pm by Astrovirus/Jari The Great »
Warrior(s): Sirrah Andromedae (Jari The Great, RETIRED)│Thief: Gienah Ghurab Corvi│Revenant: Lady Cassiopeia Cih│Necro: Miss Ophiuchus│Ranger: Meissa Heka Orionis│Guards: Gallina Deneb Cygni; Antares Flame│Engi: Theta Iota Antliae│Mesmers: Sheliak Vega Lyrae; Almeisan Geminorum│Ele: Ankaa Phoenicis

Sabetha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 01:22:29 pm »
Oh, I agree with you guys, hence why I said trainee commanders should be getting the time to lead instead of letting Jari do it via proxy. :P

Edit: If they have the time to, of course!
An even stranger war

Here I come

Mr_Dark

• Guild Leader
    • View Profile
    • Darkweb
  • IGN: MrDark.9634
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 03:49:46 pm »
Best wishes on the recovery Jari. Even when you're not commanding/playing, you can always hop on TS for some chit-chat.

As for trainee commanders; they should give a shout-out anyway when they want to command.
Necro: Darkard | Warrior: Darkward | Ele: Darkauor | Thief: Darksantard | Guard: Darkguard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 09:47:33 pm »
Just did practice run on GW2community and looks like I'll be able to pull it off with one-handed control even when commanding.

pizzapunt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 12:37:02 am »
Jari, no, stop. Take a rest. No need to push yourself this hard.

Gruumsh

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 11:21:34 am »
Dude just take care and get betta. Do commanding as Red does wvw , u just need 1 button ! 1

Take care get better !

Rediarel

• Guild Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 05:14:18 pm »
No you don't Grummsh!  You need all even more in the bad piken zerg

gemgenie

• The Cake Thief
    • View Profile
  • IGN: gemgenie.4560
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 07:39:43 pm »
LOL Gruumsh LOL!!!

And just to echo what other comms/coordinators have said we start people on Teq for a reason - you would be surprised how many people think they can command then go to pieces or go silent when it actually comes to doing it ;)

You would also be amused at how many trainee commanders also say to us after their first command "that was a lot harder than it sounds when your following"

We always look for good commanders who are willing to train from the bottom up and put in the time and effort to learn and become part of the team, and we are always willing to try and back people up for this - HOWEVER  please also bear in mind that some people are just not cut out for commanding and/or dont jell well with the team which is kind of essential - hence we have a "trainee period" before becoming a full commander. We also cant have every single person in the guild being a commander due to the way ts whisperlists run.

Those points taken into account though if you think that you would like to learn to command then please contact one of the coordinators - it takes some of the pressure off us if we have reliable people around us ;)

pizzapunt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 07:45:48 pm »
At some point... maybe... I am not really a dependable person...

Sabetha

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 06:10:55 am »
And I am a stingy person who does not wish to spend 300 gold on a commander tag anytime soon. Maybe someday...
An even stranger war

Here I come

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal