CONNECT

Host: ts.psdh.eu
Password: None

* Recent Posts

Wintersday Extravaganza 2023 by Nova Lelie
[December 12, 2023, 09:52:49 pm]

IRL Meeting interest check by Mr_Dark
[February 10, 2023, 07:33:19 pm]

PSDH Seasonal Scary Spooky Strange Sacrificial (just kidding, or are we?) Sit-in by Mr_Dark
[October 18, 2022, 01:52:50 pm]

[ANN] Easter Eggstravaganza by Nova Lelie
[April 18, 2022, 01:55:17 pm]

Dragon's End by Nova Lelie
[March 21, 2022, 11:00:25 pm]

* Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Upcoming Events

Stay Connected
Ever wanted a way to stay connected to your guildies outside of event times, or want to get notified 30 minutes before one of our events start?
Why not join the [PSDH] Discord? To join our Discord server, click on the link in this message or press the Discord logo on our banner at the top.

Author Topic: [VOTE] Discord changes  (Read 3661 times)

Mr_Dark

• Guild Leader
    • View Profile
    • Darkweb
  • IGN: MrDark.9634
  • Server: Piken Square
[VOTE] Discord changes
« on: June 16, 2019, 03:30:43 pm »
Update: Closed because not necesary anymore.

PSDH Discord… basically, guild chat, but you can also use it while not in-game.

In the beginning, our Discord was mainly used to facilitate the organization of our real-life meetup. Over the years it has grown to be an extension of the guild to socialize with members even when you’re at school/work or while visiting your grandparents.

Conversations ranging from PSDH/GW2 related to well... anything else. To facilitate this, we slowly expanded Discord with separate channels when we noticed certain topics would take over the main channel a lot of the time and basically block other conversations.

For a while, the PSDH member list does not contain only EU players, but we also have players from the US, Canada and the Middle East. That’s a lot of different time zones and different wake/sleep times and the reason for this topic.

This all links into why I’m writing this today. We’ve had multiple comments/suggestions from people whose phone kept sounding notifications due to new Discord messages, while they were still sleeping. Now you might say, “But Dark, Discord allows/recommends you to set channel notification settings so you don’t get spammed” or “But Dark, your phone as a Do Not Disturb option you can (automatically) turn on at night”, and I know, but their argument was that then they won’t be notified at all and might miss a conversation. PSDH is a social guild, so there should be a “social” solution for this.

The proposed solution is to create 2 “main” channels. One will be used during EU day/evening (say between 07:00UK/08:00EU - 11:00UK/12:00EU) and the other channel after/before those times. This way EU people can mute the “night” channel and anyone outside the EU timezone can mute the “day” channel. The switching between these two channels will not be policed by PSDH “management” but would have to be self-regulated by the Discord users.

Of course, the down-side of this solution is that conversations will be split into multiple channels, where the first part of the conversation can be in 1 channel and the rest in the other which can make it harder to follow. Or when you’re having a conversation and the times comes you’ll have to move to a different channel.

Because this is not a small change (as to just adding a new specific channel), I am reaching out to you today. I want to hear your opinion on this idea since most of you use Discord a lot more than me and I don’t want to implement something which may more people to stop using our Discord.

Voting can be done here - [removed] - Yey if you want the day/night split. Nay if you want to stay with 1 main channel.

Please also leave us a comment below if you have a strong opinion on why this should or should not be implemented.

Fine print: At least 20 votes will be required before I will use the results to make a decision. Voting closes June 30.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 08:15:38 am by Mr_Dark »
Necro: Darkard | Warrior: Darkward | Ele: Darkauor | Thief: Darksantard | Guard: Darkguard

Bezglutek

• Sylvari on fire
    • View Profile
  • IGN: ewatres.1673
  • Server: Blacktide
Re: [VOTE] Discord changes
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 04:54:08 pm »
Not a strong opinion but a suggestion for people who are woken up by notifications - I'm pretty sure all of the phones now have the possibility to turn on the "night mode" or however it's called - you can set that e.g. from 10pm to 8am you won't get any sound notifications at all. I am using it since some of my friends are night owls and message me at 1-3 am. My phone (Xiaomi) also has an option that during this "night mode" I can set a few phone numbers that won't be muted, like my mum's and mu husband's, in case there's something wrong and they need me.
Bezglutek / Szkocka z Lodem / Crazy Chemist / Dynamic Muffin / The Moon Moon / Mr Catnip Addict / Autodestrukcja / Miss Ble

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal